Thursday, June 13, 2013

28 days later.....

Well, today, 13 June 2013, marks twenty-eight days or 4 weeks since surgery on my foot was performed. Things have definitely improved gradually. The swelling is significantly reduced, mobility, flexion, and walking is easier than those first few weeks post-procedure. My surgery, an arthrotomy or opening of the joint, is a significantly more invasive procedure than arthroscopy and requires a longer incision and longer recovery time. Apparently, it does provide better access to the joint for evaluation, especially a smaller region like the MTP joint.

I've continued the flexion exercises daily and have noticed that joint still has some popping or clicking usually during dorsiflexion. This was present prior to surgery. It may be slightly descreased now but still evident. I wonder if this is due a laxity in the joint from original injury or the surgical procedure. The best description I can give regarding this clicking is that it feels like the proximal and distal phlanges are slightly laterally deviated from the 1st metatarsal - and when flexing the toe upwards, it catches the proper position making the noise. Some medial pain is present and very occasionally severe radiating pain if I flex the toe too much when walking.

I've really been able to increase my exercise. Especially stationary cycling. This week I've increased my cardio from about 15 minutes a session to a lower intensity 30 minutes. Just over the past two days I was able to use the elliptical and Precor-type elliptical for 10 minutes each. I've also continued with strength training, stretching, and have incorporated more leg work including squats into my routine. I remain cautiously optimistic that I will continue to improve, until then, farewell.


No comments:

Post a Comment