Monday, November 30, 2009

Tallahassee Turkey Trot 2009


It was a chilly start to my first Turkey Trot 15k and my sister Shea's first 5k. Perfect running weather and a beautiful Thanksgiving day in Tallahassee for the 34th annual event. There were a total of four races on November 26th. They included a 1 mile fun run, 5k, 10k, and 15k. I chose the 15 kilometer race as it was the final Gulf Winds Track Club Grand Prix event for the year. My expectations were not very high as I've been battling illnesses for the last couple months and it has severely limited my training.
The three longer races were held on the same course with a modified loop for the 10k and 15k runs. A record crowd of almost 4,000 people ran in the four races and donated food and items. Some proceeds also benefit the Refuge House.
I started out at a maintainable pace but couldn't have gone much faster due to the crowd. At this pace it took quite awhile to warm-up as I'm used to starting out much faster for a shorter race. Thanks to chip timing, splits were given. My 5k split was 24:40, much too slow. I increased my pace slightly in the 2nd leg and my 10k split was 49:07. I pushed toward the finish in the final leg and finished in 1:13:16. A pace of 7:52/mile. My goal was 1:10 but I was satisfied with my result in my first 15 kilometer run.


Check out:
Herb's Wills Trouble Afoot report
Tallahassee Democrat report
Official Race Results

No comments:

Post a Comment