Friday, November 6, 2009

Running Fun

I've been running for a few years; a couple consistently. Mainly I started jogging to be more active, lose weight (I was 215 lbs), and feel better. My first actual race is now my favorite Gulf Winds Track Club event, The Palace Saloon 5k.

The race is very popular for a number of reasons. First, it is one of the oldest organized races in Tallahassee. Secondly, it is part of the GWTC Gran Prix Series, so it attracts many competitive runners. Thirdly, the route is very flat and even ends downhill on Jackson Bluff Rd. An excellent PR course. Finally, runners can enjoy free beer at the finish line, directly in front of the Palace. The 2009
Palace Saloon 5k, on April 11th, drew a spectacular crowd of 1,022 and co-directors, Reid Vannoy and Herb Wills added a second chute to avoid a bottle neck at the finish line.

My expectations weren't very high for this race. I hadn't been doing any speedwork nor had I run any races to know what to expect. I had run the course a week prior to get a feel for it, but that was it. My goal was to run (jog) the entire race and finish under 25 minutes. Race day I tried to place myself toward the front but behind many of the fast runners at the starting line, it was quite intimidating to say the least. I did achieve my goal and finished 183rd overall with a time of 23:08. I was very happy and gladly enjoyed
a couple cold ones after finishing.

I cannot wait until the 2010 Palace race when my goal will be to break the 20:00 minute mark. It will take a lot of track work and mileage to accomplish this but I have about 6 months to do so. The 2010 Palace Saloon 5k will be held on April 10th and will likely draw even more runners, placing it second behind the Turkey Trot as the most attended Tallahassee race.

*Click links in article for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment