Sunday, February 28, 2010

Bowlegs 5k - Damn it's cold!


This was my first race since the Jacksonville Half-Marathon. This was also the coldest weather I'd ever raced in - you can tell by what I'm wearing. I'm usually one to wear the least possible as I tend to warm-up very quickly. However, it was about 26 degrees when this 5k started. It was held near the FSU Golf Course on a "rolling hills" course that was slightly more challenging than some of my more recent 5k races.
I started off moderately hitting the mile split at 6:40. I tagged along, side-by-side with another runner who seemed to have a similar pace. We ran almost a mile and a half together and passed two miles at 13:38. This was not going to be one of my fastest races, that was for sure. This realization grew even more true as the runner I was pacing pulled away and crested the final hill on the way to the finish. My pace, which had already slowed, grew even slower with a 7:12 3rd mile. I finished 15th overall with a time of 21:33. A lot of room for improvement in many facets of the race; starting to slow, fading in the second half, and having trouble with hills. More endurance training and speedwork on the track will hopefully remedy these issues.

*Above Photo Credit: Herb Wills
Herb's Bowlegs blog: http://troubleafoot.blogspot.com/2010/01/cox-switzer-winners-at-chilly-bowlegs.html

No comments:

Post a Comment